Wednesday, March 25, 2009

EtsyBaby Story Time Challenge

The EtsyBaby Team came up with another challenge! This month the theme is "Story Time". We can choose any children's story and make our own interpretation of it.
I brainstormed about this one for quite a while. I tried to think of some of my favorite stories from my childhood, as well as ones that my own children enjoy.

One of the first ideas I had was Aslan the Lion from The Chronicles of Narnia. This was my first thought because my son and I have been reading the series together for several months and we really like it. (We were given a VERY nice book with the complete series for Christmas. Thank you Gavin and Callie!)
But, I found a few issues with this idea. First, I already have a lion in my shop, so it would be basically the same as what I'd done before, just with different fabrics. Second, I didn't think I could really do the character justice. He is a very majestic, very important individual, and as he is obviously a parallel of Christ, I didn't think it would quite be appropriate.

The next idea I has was for Corduroy the bear from the book by Don Freeman. I remember loving this story of the little bear in green overalls. It is such a sweet story with a happy ending. But again, I didn't think it was quite right. Teddy bears are pretty common, and I wasn't quite sure how a Zady teddy bear would work. Plus, I would need green corduroy (of course) and I didn't have any on hand. (I could have gone shopping for some, but with three kids, that's a bit of a challenge in itself!)

I continued to make a list of stories so that I could narrow it down to the one that was "just right".

Finally, I decided on Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. This is a great story made even better by the colorful, creative illustrations. This is one of my all-time favorites from my childhood, and I love reading it to my children now.

If you've never read the book, it's about a boy named Max who is sent to his bed without his supper after "making mischief of one kind, and another". He then travels to his own magical world of "Wild Things" who make him their king. Max eventually gets lonely among the Wild Things and wants to return to where "someone loves him best of all".
The Wild Things tell him "Oh please don't go! We'll eat you up, we love you so!". But Max says "No."
I think the Wild Things are so sweet! So I made one!

6 comments:

The Dominguez Family said...

That looks soo cute!

Krystal said...

i love the horns!

hillari said...

very cute! I don't know how you have the time!

Gavin said...

First off, you are welcome. Secondly, I think that "Wild Things" and Zadyballs were made for each other. The look of the Zady creatures and the wild things seem to mesh very well. I love it. Good job, little sister!

Gardner Family said...

Very cool. You are so imaginative.

urban craft said...

i love where the wild things are. Great job!