Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The ORIGINAL – One of a kind – Zadyball

PREFACE: Please, please, PLEASE do not base my current work on my son’s Zadyball. This is the original, experimental, not for sale, made just for him. This was made over three years ago, and has been VERY loved. Zadyball has evolved and improved greatly since this one was created.

When the Storque article came out on Etsy about the “Etsy Love Challenge”, the first thing that came to mind was my son’s original Zadyball. I thought it might be fun to share how this creation came to be.
When my son was about 6 months old, he had a toy giraffe with a knotted string for a tail. He loved playing with the string, and would rub it to help him fall asleep. He had a few other toys that had one or two strings and he just LOVED to rub them.He loved it so much, that I thought it would be great to create something for him that had lots of strings for him to play with. So, that is how the Zadyball was born -- out of love for my son.
He is now three and a half and still sleeps with that original Zadyball – although he has several others that he has begged me for since I started making them to sell.

When he was younger, he carried that Zadyball with him EVERYWHERE we went. I’d have to sneak into his room while he was asleep and try to pry his fingers off of it, just so I could wash it. Now that he has a younger sister, he keeps it hidden in his room so that she can’t get a hold of it. I had to beg him just to let me get a picture of it.

So, I guess that this story is not just about my love for my son, but about his love for his very favorite, most prized toy that has been with him as long as he can remember. Even though – yes, I admit it – it’s falling apart, and no where near its original color, he still loves it.

What it used to look like:




















And what it looks like today :)

No comments: