Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Turning into a real business

I think that my family and friends are getting tired of my talking about my business ALL THE TIME. But, it's really the major thing that's going on in my life right now - besides my kids of course.
I went and talked to a lawyer on Friday. With the way things are going, I think that I really need to protect myself, and my idea. The lawyer recommended that I get started on a trademark and a patent. Total cost for both will be around $3000! I of course do not have that kind of money to fork out right now. I'm hoping that things will go so well that I will soon. He also said that I should become an LLC. I looked into that, and it's pretty easy. I've got all the paperwork filled out and ready to go, it just needs mailed. I should do that tomorrow.
So, after the lawyer, I went to the bank and set up some business accounts. I have a checking, savings, and now a credit card with a surprisingly large limit! So, I guess that I can use that to cover some of my expenses.
Speaking of expenses - I decided that I need to have some kind of label attatched to my Zadyballs with care instructions printed on it. I have some really nice lables from jennifersjewels.etsy.com, but I've gone through two orders of them now, and I need something a little more versitle and a little less expensive per lable. I contacted a jamylabels to get a quote on that today. $62.50 for 500 labels - plus a one time engraving fee of $75 and $12 shipping. A little bit pricy to start, but it should be plenty to last a while.
Oh - by the way - it's just amazing how nice people are to you if they think you are going to give them money. I think even more so when you are a business so they think there is a real possiblitly that you might have money - at least someday.

I'm SO excited about the craft fair this weekend. I've been working almost constantly to get an inventory built up. It's not like I don't have plenty of fabric (I have TONS). It's just a process to get them all made. I've been going through a lot of thread and poly-fil. I've lost count of how many I have done. I'm hoping to have somewhere between 50 and 100 by Saturday. I hope they sell - cause I don't have anywhere to store them!

1 comment:

Annie Howes said...

I love your Zadyballs. They look like a lot of fun!
http://anniehoweskeepsakes.blogspot.com/