Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Swimming Lessons

We started swimming lessons this week! This is my fourth year participating in swimming lessons with my kids, and it really has become one of the highlights of our summer, even if it is a little stressful. We do it through the City of Phoenix, and the price is very reasonable, even if they did double it this year. It is now $12 per 2 week session. (It used to be only $6). But, it's 4 days a week, and I think it gives us something to do every day, and provides structure for us. And the kids really enjoy it and are learning something.
And as a plus for me, they have a "mommy and me" class, so I get to get in the pool too! When I was pregnant with Ady - who was born in August - that was about the only thing that got me through the summer!
However, I am a little disappointed this year. Mandy, the fabulous lifeguard who taught the baby class for the last 3 years, has moved on to bigger and better things. So, they replaced her with a 19-year-old kid who started the first class by saying that he didn't have a clue what to teach us and really didn't know anything about babies. Nice. In fact, the first thing he told us all to do was to get the babies in the water and dunk their heads under. Not a good idea when the purpose of the class is get them comfortable being in the water. Yes, I agree that they should go under once they are a little more comfortable. But first thing? Needless to say, I decided at that point to just ignore the so-called "teacher" and do what I know is best. After all, I've taken this class 3 summers before. I think I know a lot more about it than he does.

3 comments:

hillari said...

I know--I really liked Mandy too. And Alex. Sareny and Zander's teacher Becky is really good though. I linked you on my blog, is that okay?

Amy O'Neill said...

Ya, the mom and tot class is kind of a bummer without Mandy. I think we are all just going to have to teach our kids from what we remember last year. Although if Sydni screams the whole time, I wasted my $ anyway!! She is driving me crazy! ;) Oh, well I guess if anything we can all work on our tans! ;)

Do you mind if I link you on my blog?

Alayna said...

You guys are awesome! Sure, I don't mind at all if you link me in your blogs. In fact, I really need to start a "friends" section here to link to people that I actually know!

Swimming lessons are getting better. Or at least he's trying.