Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend - being sick sucks

We decided to go to St George, Utah this weekend to spend some time with family. My brother, Brady was blessing his baby boy, and we thought it would be a great time to get away and have some fun.
Brandon thought it would be fun to borrow his parent's motor home. It made travel pretty comfortable - we had a bed anytime we wanted it. And with the way things turned out, those beds came in handy.

We got a pretty late start Friday evening. We got everything packed up and left our house at about 8pm. We headed up to Brandon's parents where we unloaded everything out of our van and into the motor home. It was about 10 before we got everyone in bed. That was when I first started to feel a little "twinge" in the back of my throat. I tried to ignore it, thinking it would be gone by morning. It wasn't.

We left early the next morning, at 4am. Our plan was to get pretty far down the road before the kids woke up. We thought for sure they would sleep for quite a while since they had been up so late.
They were up before 5:30.
The motor home doesn't go nearly as fast as our van, so the trip that usually takes us about 6 hours took closer to 8. I wasn't feeling great, but I thought it was just because I was tired, so napped for about an hour. Then Brandon thought that he should be able to take a nap too, so he made me drive for a while.
I did NOT enjoy driving that beast. Especially down a steep hill...
My fingers were numb from gripping the steering wheel so tight.
I pulled over and made Brandon drive the rest of the way.

It was fun to be able to spend time with family. My parents came down, and my sister-in-law, Anna's parents were there too. The kids had lots of fun playing with their cousins.

I had been trying to ignore my sore throat, but by Saturday night, it was pretty bad. And I started shaking and realized that I had a fever. No fun.
Sunday, we got ready and went to church. I was determined to make it. But, by the end, I was feeling pretty terrible.

By the end of church, I was really feeling sick. We went back to the motor home where I slept for a while. Then, I decided that I wasn't going to get better without some help, so I had my husband take me to Urgent Care.
After waiting for what felt like FOREVER (about 2 hours), I was finally seen by a doctor. Found out that I had a fever of 103, and strep throat. No big surprise. They gave me a shot of penicillin and sent me on my way.
The next 24 hours are kind of a blur. I think I was asleep for most of it.
We left St. George at about 4:30am on Monday morning and drove back home. I don't really remember much of the trip. We dropped off the motor home, got in our van, and got back home at about noon.
Then I slept. Pretty much all day. And all night.
Today, I'm feeling quite a bit better. Not completely back to normal. I haven't eaten much for the last few days, so I really have no energy. But, I feel much better than I did.
I am glad that if I did have to get sick, at least it happened while I was able to have some help. My parents were able to watch the kids while my husband took me to the doctor, and since he was off work on Monday, he was able to take care of the kids while I slept.
Anyway, not the best weekend ever, but I'm still glad we were able to go. But, I don't think we will be doing any traveling for a while.

No comments: