Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

We had a wonderful Christmas! Brandon's parents came and spent Christmas Eve with us. We had lots of fun!
I spent Christmas Eve morning baking pies and bread. Then we delivered loaves of bread to some friends. If you didn't get any, it's probably because you weren't home! We had eight loaves, but we probably stopped at 16 houses before we found enough people home to deliver them all!
We had our traditional Christmas program that evening. Brandon read the Christmas story from the bible, and the kids acted it out. Zander really got into the role!
The costumes are a little improvised, but they worked.

I tried to get a picture of Ady "gently" putting Baby Jesus into the manger, but it just didn't happen.

I did manage to make our traditional Christmas pajamas. I had some fabric that I'd bought a lot of for Zadyballs, and decided that it would be better put to use this way. I used the most simple pattern I could find, didn't do pockets or anything fancy, and managed to make SIX pairs of pants in about 3 hours. I was impressed with myself.

The kids with Gran and Papa - I didn't have enough of the same fabric to make theirs, so they got something a little different. (Gran thought they looked like clown pants. Oh well)

Zander asked Santa for an Indiana Jones hat and an Indiana Jones whip. (I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the fact that his father let him watch that movie.)
I searched for a decent hat for quite a while. Then, Brandon's Aunt Becky told us that she had an old, beat up hat that might just work. It turned out to be perfect! The lining was coming out, and the band around the outside was falling off, but after I fixed that, I think it looks just like Indiana Jones. Plus, it's not a cheapo like the toy ones they sell at Wal-mart.
Zander had played with a toy whip at Wal-mart that had a hard plastic handle, and it made noise and played music when you pushed a button. I think that's what he had in mind, but I really didn't like that one. For one thing, it said "Ages 6 and up". It was made in China (which I think I'm going to start boycotting). And I could just imagine him swinging it around by the wrong end whacking his sister in the head with the hard plastic handle. So, I decided to make one for him instead. It's made out of fabric that I had on hand, and stuffed. It's really quite similar to the store bought one, just not as dangerous. I was afraid his reaction would be "Hey, why doesn't it make noise?" But he actually said "It's JUST like Indiana Jones!" I was happy about that!

I think I did pretty good with having a handmade Christmas this year.
Ady asked for a little pink monkey, and a bracelet.
This is the monkey she got from TheMonkeyShop. Super cute! She did get another monkey from her Grandma that makes noise. So far, that one's the favorite.

I got Brandon a tie from rabbitstop. He was VERY impressed with it, and wants to buy more from them!

Even I got a lovely handmade gift from my kids and hubby! Brandon got a vase and etched "Families are Forever" into the side of it. Then he took the kids and they picked out silk flowers from the store and made a bouquet to go in it. I think it turned out beautifully, and was really from the heart!


Anyway, I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Krystal said...

i love your kids' Mary and Joseph costumes! Acting out the nativity is a great tradition! and cute pjs! great work getting them done so fast!